What is Privilege?
- The unearned social, political, economic, and psychological benefits of membership in a group that has institutional and structural power.
- Living and existing in a world where standards and rules are premised upon the dominant group’s needs wants and desires.
- To identify with or be identified as a member of a dominant social group (as opposed to a minority or marginalized group).
- Just because you have privilege in some areas, doesn’t mean that you didn’t work hard or don’t deserve credit for your work. What it does mean is that you are getting something that may be denied to other people simply based on the different social categories that they belong to.
- Having privilege can give you advantages in life, but having privilege is not a guarantee of success.